Wednesday, April 19th, 2023 at 9:00am, Independence High School, Independence, KS
The schedule has been designed to take into consideration high school schedules with the acting competition happening Wednesday morning and the winning scenes performing Thursday April 20, 2023, at 3:00 PM.
The William Inge Theatre Festival, April 20-22, 2023, will have a matinee of THE DARK AT THE TOP OF THE STAIRS on Thursday 9:00 AM and following will be workshops with our invited guests on the Independence Community College Campus (1051 W. College Avenue Independence, KS) Thursday 12:30-2:30 PM. Competition scenes will follow at 3:00 PM
Deadline: Monday, April 3rd or until available slots are full.
$900 in cash award scholarships available
This is an amazing opportunity for students to demonstrate their talent and participate in the Official State Theatre Festival of Kansas. Students compete for scholarship awards and the opportunity to perform their winning scene Thursday, April 20, 2023 at the William Inge Boyhood Home at 3:00 PM for audiences at the 40th annual William Inge Theatre Festival.
ACTING COMPETITION SUMMARY:
The Acting Competition takes place Wednesday, April 19th, 2023 at Independence High School.
- Each participant is invited:
- to attend the Inge Festival April 20-22, 2023, with a complimentary pass to all non-meal ticketed performances, panels, and workshops. (All high school specific workshops and events are scheduled the mornings of Thursday and Friday, April 20th and 21st)
- to receive a Fine Arts Activity Scholarship (books and tuition) if they decide to enroll at Independence Community College post-high school graduation.
The Winning Scenes from the Acting Competition will perform at the Inge House on the afternoon of Thursday, April 20th, 2023.
ACTORS IN THE FOUR SELECTED SCENES MUST BE AVAILABLE TO PERFORM on Thursday, April 20th. The four selected scenes will be announced on Wednesday, April 19th.
Cash Award Scholarships will be dispersed April 19th during the Inge Festival:
- Winner, Best scene: $400 – The two actors in the winning scene will each receive a $200 scholarship, paid directly to the students.
- Runner-Up: $300 – Two actors in the runner-up scene will each receive a $150 scholarship, paid directly to the students.
- Outstanding Individual(s): $200 – Four additional performers (not in either of the winning scenes) will receive $50 Outstanding Individual award scholarship, paid directly to the students.
The number of scenes in the competition are limited. The total number of scenes will be decided pending the number of entries. A single school is limited to three scenes.
Criteria and Format of Scenes:
- Each two-person team may select a scene between 3 to 5 minutes long from a William Inge play (some suggested scenes here) or from any past playwright honoree (select your own scenes).
- Scene has one minute each for Setup and Strike.
- Scenes must be roughly age appropriate and fall within a G to PG13 rating.
- High schools are limited to entries from three students.
- All actors must be slated to graduate from high school in 2022 or 2023 (i.e. presently juniors or seniors).
- Actors may only appear in one scene.
- All scenes must have an adult “sponsor.”
- A “sponsor” is defined as a teacher, parent/guardian, or other responsible older adult.
- A sponsor may supervise more than one scene.
- Applicants should complete the Inge Center – HS Acting Competition registration form. For questions, contact the William Inge Center for the Arts at Dee Byrd-Molnar firstname.lastname@example.org or (620) 332-5648.
Each scene will have access to:
- 4 – 18”-square acting cubes
- 4 – 15’’x 15”x 24” rectangle acting cubes
For each scene:
- No props are allowed.
- The set must be able to set up and clean up in 60 seconds or less total.
- Clothing may be suggestive of character, but costume and make-up is discouraged.
- Lighting will be a general wash. No specials will be provided.
- There will be no sound cues.
Wednesday, April 19th, 2022: Acting Competition! (Independence High School)
- Arrive at 8:30 a.m.
- Competition begins at 9:00am.
- Notification of scenes selected for Festival performance at the Inge House will be given by the end of the day.
Thursday, April 20th : William Inge Theatre Festival
- 9:00 – 11:00 AM Matinee performance of THE DARK AT THE TOP OF THE STAIRS by William Inge. An ICC Theatre Production directed by Paul Molnar. Cast includes ICC students and guest artists.
- 12:30 to 2:30 PM Theatre workshops and panels
- 3:00- 5:00 PM Performance of scholarship High School Acting Competition Scenes
- 7:00 PM The 6th Annual New Play Lab play readings. Playwrights from across the nation will have their plays read for an audience. Profession Playwrights and Theatre Professionals Respond to their plays to help them become fully realized
Friday, April 21st, 2023: William Inge Theatre Festival (Independence Community College and various locations around Independence)
- 9:00 – 11:00 Am Theatre workshops and panels
- 2:00 PM The 6th Annual New Play Lab play readings. Playwrights from across the nation will have their plays read for an audience. Profession Playwrights and Theatre Professionals Respond to their plays to help them become fully realized
- 5:00 -7:00 PM Picnic in the Park at the Stich Shelter House, Riverside Park (500 Shelter House Place) Enjoy a classic hometown picnic with fried chicken and all the fixing’s, sponsored by Consolidated Management Co. Enjoy complimentary park rides and games, sponsored by Independence Community College. And enjoy the company of Inge guests and patrons for our annual Picnic. For meal registration and more info visit our EventBrite post, publishing the first week of April.
- 7:00 PM Performance of THE DARK AT THE TOP OF THE STAIRS by William Inge. An ICC Theatre Production directed by Paul Molnar. Cast includes ICC students and guest artists.
Saturday, April 22nd, 2023: William Inge Theatre Festival (Independence Community College and various locations around Independence, KS)
- 9 :30 AM Library Conversation with Regional Artists about creating Theatre, and Art in the Midwest
- 2:00PM Performance of THE DARK AT THE TOP OF THE STAIRS by William Inge. An ICC Theatre Production directed by Paul Molnar. Cast includes ICC students and guest artists.
FULL FESTIVAL SCHEDULE WILL BE LISTED: www.ingecenter.org
Questions about Festival?
Dee Byrd-Molnar (620) 332-5648; email@example.com