Wednesday, April 20th, 2022 at 9:00am, Independence High School, Independence, KS
Winning scenes from the acting competition will be featured at William Inge’s boyhood home during the William Inge Theater Festival, Friday, April 22nd, 2022
- Entries Accepted starting Monday, January 20th, 2022
- Deadline: March 14th, 2022, or until available slots are full.
- $900 in cash award scholarships available
This is an amazing opportunity for students to demonstrate their talent and participate in the Official State Theatre Festival of Kansas. Students compete for scholarship awards and the opportunity to be a performer at the 39th annual William Inge Theater Festival Honoring Lynn Nottage, April 21-23, 2022, in Independence, Kansas.
ACTING COMPETITION SUMMARY:
The Acting Competition takes place Wednesday, April 20th, 2022 at Independence High School.
- Each participant is invited:
- to attend the Inge Festival April 21-23, 2022, with a complimentary pass to all non-meal ticketed performances, panels, and workshops.
- to receive a Fine Arts Activity Scholarship (books and tuition) if they decide to enroll at Independence Community College post-high school graduation.
The Winning Scenes from the Acting Competition will perform at the Inge House on the afternoon of Friday, April 22nd, 2022.
ACTORS IN THE FOUR SELECTED SCENES MUST BE AVAILABLE TO PERFORM on Friday, April 22nd. The four selected scenes will be announced on Wednesday, April 20th.
Cash Award Scholarships will be dispersed April 22nd during the Inge Festival:
- Winner, Best scene: $400 – The two actors in the winning scene will each receive a $200 scholarship, paid directly to the students.
- Runner-Up: $300 – Two actors in the runner-up scene will each receive a $150 scholarship, paid directly to the students.
- Outstanding Individual(s): $200 – Four additional performers (not in either of the winning scenes) will receive $50 Outstanding Individual award scholarship, paid directly to the students.
The number of scenes in the competition are limited. The total number of scenes will be decided pending the number of entries. A single school is limited to three scenes.
Criteria and Format of Scenes:
- Each two-person team may select a two-character scene between 3 to 5 minutes long from a William Inge play (some suggested scenes here) or from any past playwright honoree (select your own scenes).
- Scene has one minute each for Setup and Strike.
- Scenes must be roughly age appropriate and fall within a G to PG13 rating.
- High schools are limited to entries from three scenes.
- All actors must be slated to graduate from high school in 2022 or 2023 (i.e. presently juniors or seniors).
- Actors may only appear in one scene.
- All scenes must have an adult “sponsor.”
- A “sponsor” is defined as a teacher, parent/guardian, or other responsible older adult.
- A sponsor may supervise more than one scene.
- Applicants should complete the Inge Center – HS Acting Competition registration form. For questions, contact the William Inge Center for the Arts at Dee Byrd-Molnar firstname.lastname@example.org or (620) 332-5648.
Each scene will have access to:
- 4 – 18”-square acting cubes
- 4 – 15’’x 15”x 24” rectangle acting cubes
For each scene:
- No props are allowed.
- The set must be able to set up and clean up in 60 seconds or less total.
- Clothing may be suggestive of character, but costume and make-up is discouraged.
- Lighting will be a general wash. No specials will be provided.
- There will be no sound cues.
Wednesday, April 20th, 2022: Acting Competition!
- Arrive at 8:30 a.m.
- Competition begins at 9:00am.
- Notification of scenes selected for Festival performance at the Inge House will be given by the end of the day.
Thursday, April 21st – Saturday, April 23rd, 2022: William Inge Theater Festival
- Morning acting workshops for students
- Afternoon New Play Lab play readings
- Evening performances
Friday, April 22nd, 2022: Performances of Winning Acting Competition Scenes at William Inge House